Write a Review
"A Digital Artist's Dream"
Strengths: I've been using Painter for a few years now and this new version is fantastic! The new brushes are unbelievable.
Weaknesses: While much more responsive on high resolution monitors than Painter 11, there can still be some sluggishness when using complex brushes
Comments: You won't believe the realism of the new Real Watercolor brush. Amazing!
Strengths: Fabulous paint program. Millions of colors. Realistic painting and other media effects. And you can 'undo' and 'redo' to your heart's content.
Comments: This is a great paint program that is highly recommended by illustrators and concept artists.
Strengths: I enjoy the responsiveness and natural interface. In particular, I like that blending color areas works much more fluidly and predictablly than in other software.
Weaknesses: None that I have found thus far.
Strengths: Digital painting
Weaknesses: Poor interface design, glitchy, reproducible crashes from prior versions still happen in this version.
Comments: I've been a Painter advocate and serious user for more than 15 years. I suppose if you are new to the program this release appears to be a wonderful program. However, I use this program 7-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. It is THE production software I use as a professional illustrator. This latest release, while adding some attractive features, is the worst release Corel has ever put out. The software's programmers have yet to resolve many of the earlier version's crash problems, the interface redesign makes me question if anyone knows what they are doing, or perhaps they are simply outsourcing everything to India.
1. You can not longer accurately place a layer flush to the top and left of your image in the layer attributes pop up. You must spec 1 pixel from top and 1 pixel from the left, then move the layer manually one pixel at a time to the position you want.
2.If you created custom palettes of brushes, colors, commands, etc. in prior versions, be forewarned: you will have to recreate every one of them again in this new release.
3.If you rely on the portfolio feature (create portfolios of images or layers for reuse) be forewarned: you will run into problems importing many of them into this program.
4.If you typically use the "paint inside or outside a selection" feature found in ALL prior versions in the lower left of the canvas, it inexplicably is hidden in a pull-down menu on one of the palette menus in this version.
5.You can no longer shift select multiple layers in the document!! You must go to the layer's menu and do it there (absolutely ridiculous-what are they thinking!!).
6.The Layer's Menu is poorly designed and glitchy: Canvas layers disappears form the menu sometime,.
7.The brush size in the "Dab Profile" menu no longer updates in real time as you adjust sliders in the various brush control menus.
8.Layer position in the Layers Menu is not always accurate.
9.Selecting existing text in a document no longer forces the text menu to update to the size and style of the selected text.
10. There are inconsistencies in the highlighted buttons on pop-up menus ("OK" vs. "Cancel").
11. You cannot directly change the stroke color of a shape in the "Set Attributes" dialog box without first selecting the fill color window and then going back to the stroke color.
12. Color Preview in the Color Menu occasionally displays a grey scale version of a color selected in the color wheel, even though you are not working in a channel layer.
13. Copying text or objects from one file to another crashes program when you edit the text in the new document.
Suffice it to say, if you are a long-time user of this software, you will run into more problems and issues that drive you crazy and question your continued use of this software. Do not purchase this version, wait for Painter 13 and see if they correct their Painter 12 blunder.